AAH Student Summer Symposium 2012 - Call for Papers
Art and Science: Knowledge, Creation and Discovery
28 June – 29 June 2012, The Linnean Society, London
Call for Papers
Though their academic paradigms may at first seem diametrically opposed, the association between the arts and the sciences has survived renaissances, revolutions and beyond. This intellectual conjunction has motivated artistic practice and production throughout history, forming the conceptual nucleus of some of the most stimulating forms of creative expression. By engaging with this inter-relationship, we hope to address the traditional divisions that have kept the arts and sciences as separate areas of academic enquiry, whilst at the same time questioning if such an alliance is necessary or profitable for either discipline.
As well as considering general ideas of artistic and scientific collaboration, this year’s Summer Symposium will investigate the interaction between art and science throughout artistic practice, theory and history. Topics for papers could include, but are not limited to:
- Artists who work directly or indirectly with science
- Medical and anatomical images, diagrams, and the art of science
- Architecture and the body
- Histories of collection, taxonomies, display and acquisition in the arts and sciences
- The role of the science of perception in the development of perspective, figuration and abstraction
- The idea of the modern as related to science and technology
- The figure of the polymath
- Neuroscience and histories of vision
- Photography between science and art
- Mathematics and beauty – the Golden Section
- Technology and the evolving dissemination of art history
- Science in art historical conservation and research
Papers should be 20 minutes in length and abstracts of no more than 300 words should be submitted with a brief biography to: email@example.com by 29 April 2012.
The conference is open to all but speakers need to be student AAH members.
- AAH Student Summer Symposium
- Location: The Linnean Society, London
- Date: Thursday, 28th June 2012 - Sunday, 29th January 2012
The Student Summer Symposium is a two-day annual conference that combines student research papers with career-based workshops. The Symposium takes place at a different university each year in early Summer.